by Marcie Young / Photo © Greenwood Knights Car Club
One of the most exciting signs of spring is the reemergence of classic cars and hot rods on the roads. Catching a glimpse of one of these head-turning “rides” gives you a hint at just how much work and attention to detail goes into the creation and care of these amazing machines. The best way, however, to get a true appreciation of their custom paint and wheels, polished engines and refined interiors is to catch them parked with doors and hoods open. Car shows are the best way to get up close and personal to these classics and rods.
From early spring to late fall, in nearly every town in Washington, car shows are abundant. You can choose from intimate gatherings in a town near you or take a day trip to one of the larger shows in the state. Most of these gatherings showcase a mix of classic cars, hot rods, rare automobiles and trucks. If you are a Corvette, Porsche or classic truck fan, for example, you can find specific shows as well. Car shows are often free to attend, and many offer live music, beer gardens, food vendors and activities for families.
One of the most exciting times to be at a car show is when the cars are arriving and getting positioned. You can hear the rumble of the powerful engines, feel the excitement as hoods are lifted and doors opened, and watch as chrome is getting a last minute-polishing.
As you walk around a car show, you will have a chance to meet the owners, ask questions and take pictures of your favorite cars. If you are attending a show with children, consider creating a scavenger hunt, searching for specific makes and models, years or even colors. Whether you are on a first date or a family outing, there is something for everyone at a car show. For car shows near you, check with your local Chamber of Commerce. Here is a list of some of 2015’s best car shows in Washington:
- Ocean Shores, High Rollin’ Hot Rods at the Beach, April 25-26; quinaultbeachresort.com/high-rollin-hot-rods-car-show
- Lake Chelan, Cruizin’ Chelan, June 5-6; cruizinchelan.com
- Issaquah, “Fenders on Front Street,” June 21 (Father’s Day); fendersonfrontstreet.com
- Seattle, Greenwood Car Show, June 27; greenwoodcarshow.com
- Gig Harbor, Wings and Wheels (a combination aviation event and classic car show), July 5; freedomfair.com
- Spokane, 15th Annual Hot Wheels at Millwood, July 25; spokanehotrod.com/event/95
- Port Townsend, 26th Annual Port Townsend Kiwanis Classic Car Show, August 15; port-townsend.kiwanisone.org/Page/14919
- Long Beach, 37th Annual Rod Run to the End of the World, September 12-13; beachbarons.com
- Tacoma, Pacific Northwest Concours d’Elegance, September 13; lemaymuseum.org
- Goldendale, Concours de Maryhill Car Show, October 3; goldendalemotorsports.org/Concours_de_Maryhill.html